Monday, February 13, 2012

Knot Bun Tutorial

Happy Six-Weeks!  To celebrate a Probation-Free semester, I have a tutorial for you.....

A while back I was talking about chignons and I showed you an example of a more complicated hairstyle I do when I have the time.  A week ago during the Five Bun Challenge (FBC) Day 4 I did another chignon-ish style -- the Knot Bun.

The style is elegant, chic and good for those of you who are not braid inclined!





Tools & Prep:
No hair ties this time....  =)
(L-R) Dove Nourishing Oil Care Leave in Smoothing Cream,
Magic Grip Pins, Monster Bobby Pin,  Regular Bobby Pin
Boar Bristle & Nylon Quill Brush
I treat the ends of my hair with the Dove Smoothing Cream to help with fly aways and help my hair slide.  You want your hair to be extra smooth and untangled for this style, so make sure to comb out your hair well.


Howzit Done?
Comb hair into a ponytail, hold with LEFT HAND.

Drape ponytail over RIGHT HAND.

Bring ponytail around RIGHT hand, close to your head.
Wrap all the way around and bring it back to where you started.

Grip the end of pony tail with the fingers of your right hand

Use your left hand to hold your hair as you thread the ponytail through the loop.

Tighten the knot as close to the head as possible.

Tuck the end of the knot under the knot.

Position the knot to hide the ends.

Start by pinning both sides down

Add pins at the base to keep the end from slipping out.
Check in a mirror and tuck and pin flyaways.


Final Product! (with a few fly aways =P)

Notes & Comments
  • You need hair that is past your shoulders -- how far past your shoulders will be determined by the thickness of your hair.
  • You'll have a hard time getting this to look super clean with layered hair.
  • The final shape is oblong, so it's possible to do this on its "side" to make a cover fit more comfortably.



As always -- comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog with all these tutorials and suggestions. Not to mention all the pics of your beautiful hair. I'm in my sixties, and sick and tired of my braided bun/braid. The same two hair styles to choose from, day and night. Sleep, work and play. I'll try to learn to do the ones that are suitable for my age and hair type. Thanks a lot. Annakarin from Sweden

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for viewing this post! Please feel free to make comments on what I can improve, what you're stuck on, etc. =)

Also, since commenting is open to all viewers, please leave a name and contact information (e-mail, alpha) so I can get in touch with you!